Saturday, September 7, 2013

Turkey taco, burrito, whatever filling

I made my taco filling the other night and as promised I actually noted down how I make. This recipe is admittedly rough. I have been making this stuff for years based on what I used to watch my Mom make so I have always sort of made it by feel. I think she used some sort of recipe at one point but who knows. I come from a long line of make it up as you go cooks.

This is a really useful thing to be able to whip up off the top of one's head. It can go into anything: tacos, burritos, salad, the taco bites and M and I even used left overs last night for Mexican tortilla pizzas. It is also quite fast so it is a good weeknight meal, so I always have what I need to make this around.






What you need:
1 package ground turkey (these are always about 1 1/4 pounds for some reason)
2 ish Tbls Chili powder (I use a blend, currently New Mexico blend)
1 ish Tbls Ground Cumin
1 ish Tbls Paprika (use a medium heat one)
1/2 a large onion chopped fine (this is about a cup I think)
Several garlic cloves minced (I usually use 4ish, but this is really to taste)
1 8oz can tomato sauce
Salt & Pepper to taste
Cooking oil (I pretty much always use olive unless I am doing high heat)


Notes:

  • If I have a container of salsa in the fridge that has been laying around for a while I will mix that in too. It is a good way to use them up and adds a fresh note to the flavor. 
  • Also all my measurements are heaping, hence the "ish" 
  • Yes, you can use beef, or pork and beef mixed which is in my opinion the best flavor. I use turkey because, you know, saturated fat... 
  • Finally, my family is full of spice wimps. On the rare occasion I get to make this just to suit my taste ground cayenne or chipole pepper goes in too, but that pretty much never happens any more so I use Cholula hot sauce on mine. Or I just whine because spice is always better cooked in... 


What to do:
Chop up all that onion and garlic.
Put a nice big pan on the stove, throw in a bit of oil and let it heat up. Now put the onion & salt in there and soften it. Note the dutch oven above. I used it because of the large cooking surface, not the volume.

When the onion is translucent (yes that mysterious state) in goes the garlic. About a minute later (when you smell garlic cooking), the meat & turn the heat up a bit. I break the meat up as I put it in. Now brown it. Put it in there and DON'T TOUCH IT. I know, you want to stir. Don't. Browning, real browning, is what separates good food from great food. When it starts to look cooked from the top, then you may stir (no I don't have a picture - I forgot to take process pictures. Next time).

During the browning period is when I fling all the dry spices in. I just sort of sprinkle them over the top, then they all get tossed in on that first stir. When I do stir, I stir it well breaking up any large clumps, etc. There is probably a bit stuck to the pan. Excellent. At this point your meat should look mostly cooked. When you pour in the sauce, use that to moisten and scrape up those bits (deglaze that pan), which you do now (also that salsa goes in now if you are using it). Really now I just cook until I am sure the meat is done and the flavorings have come together, 5 minutes or so.

Now you probably noticed I didn't include any "turn on the stove to medium high" type instructions. That is because every stove is different. I have a professional stove so I do nearly everything on medium or less because my stove is rocket nozzle hot. For you, the onion might be medium then the meat browning might be high. Also there are no cooking times really, because it cooks until it is done and you shouldn't walk away because this whole thing is going to take maybe 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment