Monday, September 16, 2013

It is all about making choices

The other day I read an article about auditioning and it contained a classic Steve Jobs quote "A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.” This is when it struck me how similar what I do at my desk all day is to what I do when I work on a character. 

At my day job I am the product owner for the home page of a large website. Shortest version of "um so what do you really do" is I set the strategy & feature roadmap for that page. This means I spend my time analyzing data and doing research. I assimilate all this information and then I make choice about what I am going to do. I have to absolutely commit to these choices that I make about my product to in order to be successful. 

We talk about choices a lot in acting; making choices about your character's behavior, position, voice, physicality, etc. Your choices are informed by the text (and research as required for a role) and you have to commit to them.

It was just a bit of a shocking realization that what I do manage a product is really actually quite similar to what I do to create a character.


No comments:

Post a Comment