Tuesday, July 30, 2013

P.I.E.

I spent two post whining about my posture so I thought I would post on what I am actually doing about it. It is called P.I.E. and it comes from my voice coach Denise Kruse. Here is it:

Posture
Rib cage up, out and left there
Abs relaxed
Shoulders vertically aligned with hips
Weight on the balls of the feet
Feet shoulder width apart
Head slightly forward (this is slight, opens the throat)
Shoulder relaxed


Inhale
Think down (like a water ballon filling from the bottom first)
Diaphragm draws down creating a vacuum in lungs to bring in air
Pelvis muscle must relax in order for the organs to move down and out of the way
Start filling at the knees and fill to the collar bone allowing the upper chest to to expand slight more


Exhale
Draw the air out with sound starting at the very bottom of your torso. Start with an internal jerk from the base pelvic muscles.  

Now course this is focused on supported voice (for signing and acting) but really this is how to breath and stand well. Taking deeper breaths has all sorts of benefits. Most of us wander around taking shallow little breaths (like me) when in fact just breathing fully would make you feel better.

Also there is the whole better posture can improve your confidence thing (LifeHacker article here). So there are many benefits to people who aren't trying to be heard over a train that happens to be passing by your performance space, not that I would know what that is like or anything.

So there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment