Thursday, October 3, 2013

Getting out of my own way

On Tuesdays I sing. Or at least I meet with my voice coach. This week, in a pinnacle moment of getting in my own way, I somehow tried to think my way to a note. Really.

For the non-singers, this does not work. Ever. At one point Denise actually asked me if I could please use the same octave he was. It was not pretty. I did eventually manage to get my brain to shut the hell up and just listen and repeat but it was ugly until I did.

I was thinking about this as I practiced last night because I think about everything (while wondering if I was in the same octave as the recorded warm up...).

This is, of course, my problem - the thinking. There are so many things in my life where a bit less thinking would be helpful... singing, acting, dancing, cooking, painting, work... living really. Earlier today I spent a solid hour over thinking a decision that has basic only one way to go - yeah think less, and make the call would have been good there (also commit. Sigh). The hour of over analysis did not help anything. Working out doesn't require me to think hard about it, but I do. In fact, it is the thinking that can stop me from doing it ("Oh I am tired and I need to run lines/go to the store/make dinner/sing/sit on the couch and drink a martini. I will take a rest day.") When rehearsal dictates that I must work out in the morning (at like 5. Ick.) my mantra is don't think about it. The alarm goes off just get up and go and it totally works. The minute I think, I am toast. Not getting up. It has to just be "Don't think, just do."

So... the challenge is to be aware of when I am getting in my way and to know it off. No problem. Ha. Perhaps October is the month of getting out of my head?

Don't think, just do...

No comments:

Post a Comment